Thursday, March 4, 2010

We're here!

I can not believe that we have already been in Germany for 15 days.
We are currently staying in a hotel waiting to find out if we are going to be approved to move into a gorgeous flat in the Theatre District of Erlangen. I really wanted a place that looked and felt like I was in Germany and this place fits the bill perfectly. It is located on a cobble stone street surrounded by little Italian restaurants and little home goods shops. It feels like I am walking through an Anthropologie catalogue (sigh). The flat was built in the 1700's and is located above a small retail space. The space is currently vacant which, for me, adds to the excitement of the big move. I am hoping that a bakery does not move in below us. The idea of having fresh pastries and pretzels and the bottom of our stairs is just too tempting. For those of you not familiar with the area bakeries are like Starbucks in the States, they are literally on every corner.
As soon as we have confirmation that we were approved to move in I will post pictures.
Besides the house hunting Phil and I have been exploring the area, working on our German and sampling the local cuisine. We are still adjusting to the culture and can't wait for our language classes to begin. I really miss being able to walk into a grocery store or restaurant and understand what the people around me are saying. It is also nice to know what we are ordering/buying. It is a challenge but a good challenge and I am excited to see where it takes us. These two years are going to fly by and we both want to make sure that we make the most of each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment