Thursday, August 26, 2010

Birthdays in Berlin

Last weekend we traveled to Berlin to celebrate August birthdays. It just so happens that two fellow expats and I all have birthdays that fall within 10 days of each other. We had decided to celebrate together and flew to Berlin for a long weekend. We stayed in an incredible hotel (thank you husband) right in the middle of West Berlin.

One of the sites that I was excited to see was the wall. We took a 20 minute train ride to Muhlenstrasse, which is where we found the longest preserved part of the Berlin wall. It is located in East Berlin, runs just over a half a mile long and is covered in grafitti. Once we arrived at the wall we found out that Berlin had spent over a million dollars last year by bringing in artists from all over the world to repaint the existing wall. It is amazing that it was only 20 years ago that the wall came down.





I even found my name on the wall....


After the wall we took a train to Checkpoint Charlie.


Then it was on to Brandenburg Gate.


The next day we decided to check out the Berlin Zoo. I had heard that it was one of the largest zoos in Europe.
We had a great time and spent the whole afternoon walking around and enjoying the gorgeous weather.
I think he knows he is having his picture taken...


Time to feed the polar bear..


Before I end this post I want to share one last picture with you all. The night before we left for Berlin I scratched my cornea while taking out a contact. My eye was then extremely sensitive to the sun for the next couple of days. We did, however, find one thing that helped on Saturday.


It only stayed on for a few hours but definitely provided some laughs....mostly from other tourists.


No comments:

Post a Comment