Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dirndls and Lederhosen



It is that time of year again. Bergkirchweih is here and in full swing. Over one million people gather every year to celebrate with games, rides, great German food and drink. One of my favorite parts of the festival is the music. There are several stages set up at the base of the mountain that host all sorts of bands from folk music to rock bands. They are usually dressed in typical Bavarian attire and sound amazing. Phil and I learned this early on when we met some friends to sing karaoke near our home. You put a mic in front of a German with a strong accent and all of a sudden they become Bon Jovi, with absolutely no accent. Needless to say we did not sing that night.

Ok, back to the Berg Fest. It is happening now until the 20th of June and is just a 5 or 6 minute walk from our flat. This is another highlight of the festival for us. I love being able to open our bedroom windows and hear the sounds of people cheering, bands playing and overall merriment. It is so German and I love it. Oh and yes, there are people dressed in lederhosen and dirndls as far as the eye can see.

Phil and I met up with his group from work and enjoyed a few hours of people watching and listening to a great band.

I will just share a few pictures with your since we plan on going back this weekend with our friends from the States and will be sharing more later. I should also mention that we have recently purchased a dirndl and a pair of lederhosen for the event. I can't wait to put on my dirndl.

Bergkirchweih






The table beside ours.


Some of the food.




And of course the gingerbread hearts.


Festivals like this make me really happy to be living in Bavaria.
More pictures and stories to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment